How To: Fix Wii Virtual Console Black Screen Problemsr3dux | October 15, 2009
If you’ve tried some Wii Virtual Console stuff out and the game appears to start – you hear things happening, but there’s just a black screen, and if you pause the game using the Home button on the Wiimote you can see the game screen – this is the problem we’re talking about.
The reason for this is that you’re using Component cables (likely to connect your Wii to a LCD or Plasma TV) and for bizarre Virtual Console-y reasons, the game isn’t set to use, or doesn’t support, Wii Component Cable Interlace Mode. Some games do, some games don’t – you can find a list of Component Interlace Mode Compatible titles here.
The bad news is that if your game doesn’t support interlace mode, the only way you’re going to be able to play it Wii VC style is to use your composite cables.
The good news is that if your game does support interlace mode you can switch it over as follows:
- Pause the game by hitting the Home button on the Wiimote
- Go to the Operations Manual for the game
- Plug a Nunchuk into your Wiimote
- To enable Component Interlace mode, hold down: Z, A and the 2 button at the same time
- To disable Component Interlace mode, hold down: Z, A and the 1 button at the same time
If the game supports it, and you’ve done it right, you should hear a chime-type sound indicating the game has switched modes. Now just get out of the operations manual and unpause and you should be able to play away to your hearts content.